The Bloody Rose is a magical anti-vampire handgun used to kill vampires, currently carried by Zero Kiryu. It was first given to him by Kaien Cross as a weapon to defend himself. Like all anti-vampire weapons, it cannot harm humans.
On the sides it is etched with the words "Crossing" and "Bloody Rose" and along the top are the words "Crossing Danger". Bloody Rose is an original styled gun with many unique elements. However, Bloody Rose is clearly heavily based on the Colt M1911.
The Bloody Rose is often seen with a chain that is attached to Zero's uniform, though at times he removes the chain so that he can wield the gun freely.
Blood-tip cartridges are only shown in the anime.
Following Zero's completion of the fragment (after he drank Ichiru's blood and acquired the full amount of power as a vampire hunter), the Bloody Rose morphs and becomes a part of his body, allowing him to control metallic thorny vines. The Bloody Rose pulls its strength from Zero by feeding off Zero's blood, draining him. The Bloody Rose appears to have its own consciousness and will not always cooperate with Zero, as Kaname Kuran manages to persuade it to back down when Zero attempts to attack him. Kaname reminds the gun who he is, but Zero regains control. Though we have never seen it react to Zero, the Bloody Rose rejects Yuki when she attempts to pull it from Zero's grasp. In chapter 82, Zero's powers have increased after drinking Sara's blood. When he attacks Kaname, Bloody Rose has a new Beast Thorn attack.
In the second arc, it is revealed that Hunter weapons are all made from a special metal. The metal was created by The Hooded Woman, a progenitor of the vampire race. Her goal was to help the humans fight back against the vampires. Her blood was given to a group of humans who wanted to fight. Those who survived drinking her blood became the Hunters. She then threw her heart into a vat of molten metal. This metal is what powers all Hunter weapons. The consciousness in Bloody Rose is revealed to be the Hooded Woman herself.
It shoots off a symbol that is etched into the gun that can only harm vampires.
Though the Bloody Rose is a magical weapon, it can still be loaded with normal pistol cartridges; however Zero uses a different gun for target practice on normal targets.
- On the cover of volume 1, Yuki is shown wielding the Bloody Rose with its chain wrapped around her arm.
- In the first arc, Zero only carried the Bloody Rose when he was in uniform as a school guardian. In the second arc, he is employed as a Hunter and carries Bloody Rose at all times.
- Kaname was shown in ancient times, over 10,000 years ago, with both Bloody Rose and Yuki's weapon, Artemis. Although it seems bizarre an ancient weapon would look like a modern firearm, Vampire Knight takes place in a post-apocalyptic timeline. The world was destroyed by climate change, so their ancient times appear to be the time period we are in now.
- The Bloody Rose in the anime seems shorter than in the manga.
- Does the Bloody Rose have magical bullets or does it not normally require anything?
- How does the Bloody Rose gun drain Zero's blood to have its effects take place?
- Did Kaien Cross use the Bloody Rose in the past to kill vampires?